Saturday, February 25, 2012

Sweet Eats in Breckenridge

Usually I blog about things that I make, but this blog (and the next couple) will be about some of the goodies I've come across on my travels.  This week, I am in Breckenridge, Colorado.  What a beautiful city!  Yesterday, after walking over two miles along Historic Main Street, I wanted a treat.  A friend recommended Mary's Mountain Cookies.  The place is a hole-in-the-wall.  I was a little disappointed by the selection.  A lot of peanut butter based cookies, and I'm not the biggest fan. 


The three cookies that appealed to me the most were (from left to right) the chocolate caramel, German chocolate, and COW (cranberries, oats, and white chocolate,)  My favorite was the COW.  It had the perfect amount of inclusions for my taste.  The German chocolate cookie was ok but I was satisfied with the single bite.  The caramel chocolate was my least favorite BY FAR!  There was something about the base that was off - too much leavening, perhaps.  My only other critism is that the cookies weren't chewy enough for me.  I like my cookies borderline RAW!



///

This afternoon I decided to eat lunch out.  I came across a bakery - La Francaise French Bakery - hidden (literally) on Main Street.  When I walked in, I was pleasantly surprised by the presentation of the pastries in the case.  I ordered Le Turkey and Brie which was served on a house made baguette.  It was delish!  I was especially impressed with the authenticity of the baguette. 



On the way out I grabbed a cinnamon brioche (bottom left corner of the picture.)  It's basically a cross between a cinnamon roll and brioche.  It was pretty good, but didn't blow me away.  I will definitely be back to try something else and grab a baguette!

1 comment: