Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Le Crepe

I've decided to give blogging a shot - again. My friend from school, Emma, has inspired me to do so! You should definitely check out her blog - There's No Crying In Pastry.




My first crepe in France was at a stand adjacent to Notre Dame in Paris. I ordered the Grande Marnier and banana. The batter was ladled onto an electric griddle and spread into its signature round shape using a wooden tool. It is flipped twice and then brushed with the liquor and a sliced banana. It is folded and served nice and hot. The crepe was delicious - not too sweet with beautiful citrus notes and warm banana. I had to have one again, and soon, but without hopping on a plane.


I decided to use some Christmas money to purchase a crepe griddle (made in France, of course!) It's been sitting in my room for a few weeks now and I've been waiting for a reason to whip it out. Thankfully, I had a get together with some of my best friends from high school and I put the griddle to good use. While I was interning at Maison Carratie in Beziers, I learned how to make crepes and got my hands on the bakery's crepe recipe. After making a quick batch of batter and an apple compote (for filling the crepes) it was time to plug in the griddle.
I'm not going to lie, the first two crepes came out horrible, but, by the third crepe I had figured out the best way to spread the batter, loosen the edges and flip the crepe. We filled them with the compote. It was pretty good, but not exactly the flavor profile that brought me back to a street in St. Germaine. That's where we brought in the nutella and banana - another popular choice. Ding, ding! We have a winner!














No comments:

Post a Comment