Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I'm not your bitch, bitch."

Today was a fun day. This morning I headed to The French Culinary Institute to assist Chef Dave Martin. You may remember him from season 1 of Top Chef.

It was weird being back in school, changing into my whites, and heading into the kitchen. Chef had train issues and arrived later than expected. There wasn't much for him to worry about; us volunteers had already gotten the mise en place done.
This was my first time assisting at a school demo or recreational class, so I really didn't know what to expect. My first task was to make parfaits. I sweetened some yogurt with a drop of sugar and vanilla and sprinkled them with a granola that Chef had made. His secret ingredient - Golden Grahams. Pretty tasty.

After setting up some more mise en place trays and shredding duck (gross), I got to work along side the students making extra items for the buffet line. The theme was brunch. The menu...

-Malted Brioche French Toast
-Veggie Frittata
-Granola
-Hash of Duck Confit, Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes, Red Bell Pepper, Caramelized Sweet Onion and Wild Mushrooms
-Crab Cake Eggs Benedict served with Pineapple Hollandaise and Papaya Salsa
-Bloody Mary's and Mimosas

The people I worked with were very nice. Everyone helped each other out and, therefor, everything ran smoothly. It was fun helping the students get through their recipes. I think I'd really enjoy teaching culinary arts.

After the class, we straightened out and I was able to take a picture with Chef before heading home. :)












No comments:

Post a Comment